Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mama Kat's: Blogging Challenges

I'm participating in Mama Kat's this week. Here are the prompts. Pick one, then go back to Mama Kat's site and link up your blog.

The Prompts:
1.) Describe a memorable first date.
2.) Write about a child you find inspiring.
3.) What do you find most challenging about blogging?
4.) Name a pet peeve you have about how other parents raise their kids. Go on…stir the pot.
5.) We often spend time and energy talking about people in our lives we don’t see enough of. Describe a person in your life you are in contact with often. What does he/she mean to you?
6.) If you could thank your mom for anything, what would it be? Create a video thanking her for something.

I chose #3. I have struggled with blogging the past couple of months. From taking my blog down for privacy reasons and then having it totally deleted, I almost gave up. I used to post a ton of pics of my son and our family. I found out that some people were stealing pics of my blog and posting them to their own Facebook as if they were the owners of my photos. This just really struck a nerve with me. People who have nothing to do with James do not get to steal my pics and pretend like they are part of his life.

So, when I started my new blog, I decided that I needed some safeguards in place. I love having my blog public, so I started using watermarks for pictures of James and I disabled the right click function. If anyone wants to know how to do this, then contact me :)

I still ponder if I have made the right choices, but the fact is that I really like to blog. I'm not the best by any means, but I like being able to go back and see what we were doing in life at any given time. There are always going to be people out there who are mean and destructive. I can't protect my family from everything, but I can choose what I put out there for people to see.

On a better note, I am so ready for this big 3 day weekend coming up. I promise to bring my camera along and post some fabulous new pics!

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on the privacy thing :-) I started my blog as an outlet for myself but write mostly anonymously...by that I mean very few people close to me in real life have any idea that I blog. It means no personal pics in most cases.
    Sorry people were stealing your content- that's not nice!
    Stopped by from Mamakats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay...so i wanna know that whole water mark secret!!

    i often worry about what i have shared the years i have been posting particularly with pictures but i love doing it.

    i stopped for a year and missed it so much.

    you can email me at holymolynonames@yahoo.ca with your water mark info. i would be very grateful.

    i hope you continue your blog....there is something very special about it no matter how big you are in blog land...even if just a few people read your thoughts and come away maybe with a smile you have done good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, sorry to hear about people stealing your pictures. I am paranoid about that so I've completely stopped posting pictures of my son. If I do, he's not facing the camera, or I take it at some weird angle.

    I'd like to know how to disable the right click.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, done that, with regards to worrying about privacy!

    In the past 10 years, I have set my blog to private, then gone public but changed locations, removed anything personal, stopped posting pictures... and finally, decided that I would not let a few jerks invade my personal blog anymore.

    I take some safeguards, changed the names of those who didn't agree to participate, and try not to worry about the rest.

    Have a Happy 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Stopped in from Mama Kat's! I agree with the privacy issue. I kinda struggled with that when I first started blogging. Had someone IRL take issue with some of my words. I had to almost start from scratch!

    Glad you kept going!

    ReplyDelete