Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Simple Things

Sometimes, the most simple things in life are what keep us grounded.
  • playing in the leaves without worrying about your hair or makeup
  • watching a little boy anxiously await his dad's truck rounding the corner, because he wants to give him a huge hug.
  • also watching same boy almost crash and burn in the parking lot because he wants to make it to the truck before his dad steps out
  • seeing an autobiographical poster by little man who names his dad as his favorite person
  • knowing that he may not call me mom, but loving the hugs I get in public and in front of his friends and how his smile melts my heart
  • quick dinners at McDonald's
  • quietly giggling when little boy asks to use my bubble bath
  • waking him up with clothes straight from the dryer
  • watching him take pride in finishing his homework at school and having more free time at home
  • quiet nights after the little boy has gone to bed 
  • hearing our boy say he's going to grow up to be a video game designer and move to Hollywood, but not to worry because me and his dad can move in too!
With all the hustle and bustle of sports and birthdays and housework and mounds of paperwork, I realize that things aren't always as bad as they seem. One day, I'll wish I had the same little boy who loves me and his dad wholeheartedly instead of the wild crazy teenager with blue hair {which he has already requested}!

2 comments: