Monday, September 19, 2011

Miracles Happen

It's been one crazy week around here. On Monday night {9/12/11}, Gene totaled his truck/trailer. I got the call around 10:30 pm. He called and said he had hit a bull and rolled his truck and that he had to go because DOT was there. The next 5 hours or so were filled with worry, exhaustion, tears, and a few phone calls. I didn't actually know a lot of the details until he made it home on Tuesday {where I took him straight to the ER}. The wreck happened close to Hardesty, OK. Gene was loaded with cows destined for Texas when he came up over a hump and a bull was in the road. Police reports show that Gene never left his lane, he didn't even swerve to try and miss the bull. The impact broke the front end and the steering wheel was spinning freely. The truck slid on it's side about 450-500 feet until it stopped over a culvert facing the opposite direction. Gene walked out. He said he'd always heard to get in the floor if you thought your truck was going over and thank goodness, that's what he did. There was a little hole inside the cab where there was no debris and that's where he was. We don't know what kept Gene in that truck, but he walked away unharmed. Sure, he has a few bumps and bruises, but he's alive and well. No broken bones, no internal injuries. His angel was really with him that night. This weekend, we went to clean out his truck {which by the way, everything of value had been stolen, even a handmade blanket I gave to Gene as a gift last Christmas}.  But all of that is ok, because he's here with his family. I couldn't ask for anything more. It was hard to go back and see where the wreck happened and how bad the truck really was. Words don't describe the heartache I felt seeing everything we've worked for be destroyed in a few short seconds. But, we will start over. We will begin again, and we will come out ahead. I just praise God that I'm able to hold my hubby's hand and hear him say, "I Love You." For that, I will be forever grateful.




Where the truck/trailer slid into the ditch.

Marks from the trailer.

Culvery where the truck stopped. Gene stepped out onto these pipes.

This brought tears to my eyes. It's a picture of me and it was covered in dirt. I found no trace of the frame that this picture was in.

Blackmarks where the truck left the road.


We made it to the truck and trailer which was located in Guymon, OK.

Passenger side.

View from the front

Passenger side.

Passenger seat.

Inside the sleeper.

Gene was down between the seats

Driver side

There's just nothing left.

Another view of the inside

God Bless My Hubby!

I took this picture as we were driving between Hardesty and Guymon, OK. The telephone poles reminded me of crosses and I thought this picture was just beautiful and so peaceful.

I'm glad this week is over. I'm ready to start a new week and a new beginning. We've had enough hardship the past 6-7 weeks, so I hope we can finally get caught up and ahead. I hope to get back into the swing of blogging this week and hopefully post some pics of little man's football games. He's doing so well and I'm so proud of him!

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are chilling! Someone was looking over him that day. Thank God he's okay. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) His angel was definitely with him. It's hard to look at these and realize that Gene walked away from this. I still can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete